2015.03.05: Unsure of our ability to sever ties with CoJ in the short term we’re investing our time and effort into Cottage-253, a semi-off grid garage conversion. When complete, it will be a 2.5 bedroom, 1 bathroom, 1 garage dwelling, capable of housing the ‘tweens during the study years and providing us with a crash-pad between CoJ and CoCT. Once finished it will provide further options on funding the future allowing multiple rental options in CoJ or improving the resale value should we one day finally manage to cash in the chips up here.
Years of accumulated junk are clogging the site of the new kitchen and bathroom and so we’ve needed to make space, out of the weather to store those items that we’ll re-use in the build. Also, the workbench and tools need to be relocated. So we’ve taken down the carport and re-used the beams to build a new toolroom/workshop/store. At present it’s only a roof surrounded by existing walls but eventually it will be totally walled off to provide more secure storage for workshop and tools. This has entailed moving the trailer to it’s new parking spot as well.
2015.05.02: And, after a little bit of work, things are starting to take shape. All the gum poles and fence material were lying around the property, so the only things bought for this stage were concrete and roofing material.
2015.06.03: Meanwhile, back down the garden the timber frame add-on bedroom is starting to take shape.
2015.07.04: The foundations and planting of the additional gum poles has taken the most time so far, but now that the 6 posts are all up and set we’re hoping to start making rapid progress here. The floor structure is taking shape…..
The result of a single Saturday afternoon’s work. We started by installing the outer beams and are now placing the cross members which will take the decking/floor timbers. The plan is to lay a plastic vapour/vermin cover down, followed by a layer of insulation and capped off with the flooring boards. Once all the additional supports are installed under the beams this will be the most solid floor we’ve built to date.
2015.07.25 and the main rafters are in place
2015.08.16 We’ve taken a break this last couple of weekends, needing to check on other interests down in Simons Town. Now that we’re back in CoJ, another half-day’s work has seen all the purlins mounted. Ready to take the roof now!
2015.08.22 The hardest job of all is done!
2015.09.01 Spring is here and we’re racing to get the remainder of the roof on before the rains start.
2015.09.12 and the north roof supports are in place, ready for action.
2015.09.13 We’ve added a little too much flooring for comfort considering the building isn’t yet water-tight.
2015.09.15 Rain, rain and more rain. Let’s hope we don’t need to redo the floor :-/.
Up with the floors, letr them dry and let’s focus on getting the walls up and weathertight before we do that again!
2015.11.03 We’re experimenting with the “hidden” east wall first. [Unsure of what swaths of corrugated will look like]. Now that we’ve clad the bottom section and placed the windows I’m thinking it won’t look too bad after all.
2015.11.29 and we’re really flying. The north wall is almost complete. We’ve mounted both the door and window and almost all the cladding is done. Only thing left for the north wall is the fiddly job of neatening up the corners and edges. Progress has been made!
2015.12.30 – Progress lately has been slow, very slow. Due mainly to the gates of hell opening and the temperature soaring!! It’s been too hot to work much lately, but today saw a bit of a temperature drop and a subsequent spurt of building took place.
2016.07.05 – Still plugging away……slowly.