Sep 242012
 

Not keen to head out to the yacht this morning, but am now glad I did. The space under the motor-well floor was full to the brim, I guess at least 200-250l of water in there. No wonder she was tail-heavy. The water can’t have gotten in over the bulkheads, because then it would be in the cockpit lockers and not under the floor of the well. No. It had to have run down the back chain-stays. If it had leaked through the aft cockpit drain skin fittings, then it would be leaking back out of the fittings on the hard. But it isn’t! The integrity of the new well is perfect. No cracks or openings anywhere that water could have entered. So, no doubt! It had to have entered via the back chain-stays. I had to drill a hole to insert the pump pipe end and pump it dry. Once that was done it was mentally much easier easy to enlarge the hole for a deck-drain cover [like I have for the anchor-well]. Now at least I have access should anything go wrong in future. I can insert the manual pump pipe-end in there and pump dry if needed and the hole is big enough to stick in a sponge and get the very last drops out.

So, that’s 50% of the problem solved – knowing what happened. Now all that’s needed is some time, ingenuity and money and phase-II of the well will begin. Watch this space.

The most scary thing is, it doesn’t take a very big leak to sink a yacht. Look at it this way. I took on 200l of water over a 4-hour period of heavy-weather sailing. The openings between the glass-work and the stays are really tiny, yet they let in that amount of water. Imagine you’re out on the South Atlantic. There are a lot of 4-hour periods in 34 days. enough to sink the boat! Scary stuff.

 Leave a Reply

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

(required)

(required)